Cost of moving
How Much Will You Pay to Move?
The dollars and cents that go into moving vary greatly depending upon a number of factors.
Granted, this is a huge range in price that will depend upon:
- The distance that you are moving.
- How much furniture you are moving.
- If you hire full-service movers or pack and load your own belongings.
For a more specific estimate of the costs of hiring a removalist for your relocation, you must get a quote online or in person.
Many websites for moving services will advertise their average costs or the lowest prices available. Yet you won't be able to get a completely accurate quote until you have given a removalist an inventory of your belongings, the exact distance of your move and the dates that you need to move.
Here are a few factors that will affect your removalist costs during relocation:
- How long your move takes. Many removalist companies charge by the half-hour or hour, so moving faster means that your total bill will likely be cheaper.
If you're not hiring full-service movers to pack and load your belongings for you, you can cut down on your total moving time by boxing your belongings in advance so that they are labelled clearly and ready to pack in the truck on moving day.
- How many movers you need. If you and several friends are willing to help pack your belongings into the moving truck or do all of the work yourself, you can save money on hiring a removalist.
Even if you are willing to help the removalists load the truck, you can save money by hiring one mover instead of two.
- How many belongings you need to move. If you want to move smart and save on removal costs, only hire a moving service for big items like large pieces of furniture.
But if you want to gauge a ballpark quote before contacting movers, then it’s helpful to understand some of the basics. Most professional moving companies will estimate your moving cost on a combination of the following factors:
Distance, Weight (critical factor in a long distance move), Time, Move size/Difficulty, Crew size, Gas
The longer your move and the heavier your shipment, the higher your move cost will be.